Jackie Valley, Sales Director Rūtz Naturals, happily married mom of three girls and two playful Labradors, yoga fanatic, health food junkie, wine maker (well assistant wine maker), lover of all things good humored and fun.After graduating from the University of Pittsburgh, Jackie took a position with the Hyatt Regency Waikoloa on the tropical Big Island of Hawaii. This is where her love for all things spa and wellness became her profession. Under the direction and mentorship of Sylvia Sepielli, a renowned guru in the spa industry still today, Jackie learned the difference between giving great customer service and creating excellent customer experience. She continued to work alongside Sylvia opening an exclusive day spa and salon in North Carolina, where she stayed on as Spa Director. Jackie expanded her focused on strengthening her business marketing skills and spent a number of years in the advertising and marketing industry including working on such publications as Delta Air Lines Sky, United Airline Hemispheres magazine & Carolina Parenting. Moving back to Pittsburgh, Jackie chose to put her career on the shelf for a bit and start a family.
She was introduced to Rūtz by her friend and sister in-law. “I fell in love and almost immediately jumped on the phone to see how I could help spread the word.” With an extensive background in sales and marketing and an obvious undying passion for all things health, wellness and beauty, Jackie was quickly snatched up by the Rūtz team to help take their line to the next level. “Once I met the Rūtz team I knew this was the place I would spend the rest of my working days. It was a brilliant bunch of ladies creating an amazing line up of products. Now on their way to greatness, this well rested and ready to roar mom of three is making great strides as Sales Director for Rūtz.
“It is such an incredible feeling to be able to return to my roots and come full circle in my career and be back in the industry that is my true passion. I am forever grateful for the opportunity to be a part of the Rūtz journey. “
1. If you were stranded on a desert island, what 3 (beauty & wellness) products could you not live without? (You have food and water)
Coconut oil- it’s so multipurpose, Barleans olive leaf extract – it’s like a magic serum that keeps me healthy, & sunscreen – our brand of course. Oh a few Rūtz products…wait that’s four.
2. What is your morning beauty routine? evening?
Morning: water, water and more water, preferably with lemon. Rinse my face and spritz with our In Your Face for a fresh start. Tinted moisturizer with SPF and a touch of mascara, if heading out. If staying home, no make up, pony tail and I’m all set.
Evening: cleanse, tone, serum, moisturize. A nice mask twice a week. Rest! lots of rest.
3. What 3 tips or tricks can you share for feeling and looking your best?
1. Yoga and fitness and a decently healthy diet and lots of water. Find an activity you love and make time for it everyday. It’s cleansing for the mind and body.
2. Don’t take yourself too seriously. Be silly, laugh a bunch. Be kind when you look in the mirror. Love who you are and how you look at every age. It’s all just numbers anyway.
3. Balance. Tomorrow is another day. Take time to rest your mind and your body. You’ll be fresher and more energized in the mornin’.
4. What’s your favorite part about running Rutz Naturals?
I am part of an amazing team. Running business development and sales for Rūtz is an enormous honor. Steph Schuler our fearless founder and CEO has so much energy and compassion. Rūtz is her baby and she trusts me to run the show. It energizes me and makes me want to work even harder. I absolutely love being on her team.
5. What’s a trend in the beauty industry you’d like to see grow? I would love to see more focus on beauty products for younger girls. Taking care of your skin should start when you are young. The products that are available to the preteen market are full of chemicals and dyes. Why not a natural line for young girls. Hmmm … keep your eyes peeled from the Rūtz camp on this one.
6. What beauty trend would you like to see disappear?
Heavy glitter on lip and eyes. I just don’t get it. Ouch!
7. Of the products you make, which is your favorite?
Ooo. Tough question. Love em all!! Rūtz In Your Face Spa-aahh elixir is my go to all day long so it’s definitely my favorite. I have to let you in a little secret though. We have a new gal called, well, it’s a new gal that’s all I can say for now. It is an essential oil filled delicious little baby that has earned a permanent spot in my handbag, on my nightstand and on my desk. Totally amazing and addictive. I can’t wait to share with you. You are going to LOVE it!
8. What sets Rutz Naturals apart from other lines on the market today?
Our story, our love for what we do, our founder Steph Schuler’s compassion and all our quirkiness wrapped up into one great product. The Reiki aspect is equally as important when it comes to differentiating Rūtz from the pack. Yes, we have an amazing product that is a blend of the best Mama Nature and science that actually gives you results. The real nugget is our strong belief that wellness is equally an inside job. Your skin and hair are a billboard for whats going on in your body. Therefore we take it one step further and infuse warm lovin’ reiki energy into each of our products to calm, heal and renew from the inside out.
9. We all know healthy beauty starts with what we put in our bodies. What 3 tips can you share about beauty from the inside out? (think superfoods, supplements, teas, elixirs and the like)
1. Dump processed food, limit sugars and white processed grains. Instead fill your day with fresh, raw food: blueberries, mangos, tomatoes, dark leafy greens, mushrooms, walnuts, macadamia nuts, almonds and of course dark chocolate! Get creative in the kitchen. Use fresh herbs! You will notice a difference right away.
2. I am a huge fan of Turmeric, fresh or as a supplement. Also huge on Barleans Olive Leaf Extract. It’s a high ORAC, anti-fungal, anti-microbial elixir that is excellent for joints, cardiovascular system and building a strong immune system.
3. Spirulina and Chlorella are two more of my go-to supplements. Easy to add to a smoothie or glass of juice and they are packed all sorts of nutrients, proteins, iron, amino acids, beta-carote and chlorophyll. What’s not to love!
10. Serious stuff. Which ingredients do you avoid at all costs?
Food: dyes, corn syrup-all types, monosodium glutamate, hydrogenated oils.
Beauty products: Triclosan, fragrance, Formaldehyde and phthalates for starters.
11. What do you do to stay active and why?
I have always been physically active. I went to my first aerobic class when I was 11. I loved how it made me feel strong and empowered. Yoga is now my number one. I feel amazing both physically and mentally. Some days I need something a bit heavier and on those days I do Insanity or T-25 by Sean T. He kicks my tail every time. It’s a blast and I see results almost immediately.
12. Do you have a favorite beauty boosting meal you’d like to share a recipe for?
Mixed field green and spinach salad packed with mushrooms, onions, walnuts, berries, tomatoes, sprouts, red cabbage tossed with Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar and a touch of California olive oil and some fresh basil leaves. Topped that with a grilled piece of wild Salmon. Covers all the bases, nurtures your body and blows away your taste buds!
13. Not including your own brand, what are 3 of your must have beauty /wellness products?
1. Schmidts Lavender Sage Deodorant in paste. It works!
2. Braggs Apple Cider Vinegar. My hair care go-to when I just need to get the gunk out and start fresh. It leaves my hair feeling soft and the shine is fantastic.
3. Rocky Mountain Essential Oils. I mix them with a nice carrier oil like jojoba and use them from head to toe. They are 100% natural, highest quality on the market. Beautiful products.
14. Do you have a hero? If so, who and why?
I have many people that have touched my life and made me who I am today. If I had to pick one I would say my hubby. He has stuck by my side through all the ups and downs over the past 20 some years. He is an amazing father and a really hard worker. He always gives of himself first. He’s my rock!
15. What’s the hardest or most important life lesson you’ve learned?
That no matter what anyone tells you follow your dreams and do what you love. Don’t fall into the trap of having to be someone rich and powerful, highly popular and successful. These things only make you truly happy if you are passionate about what you do and are being true to who you are. Be yourself all day long! Success and happiness will follow!
16. Any beauty/wellness myth’s you’d like to bust?
Base tanning. Love that one. I’m headed to the beach so I thought I’d tan a bit first so that I don’t burn. Both are damaging to your skin. Everyone loves to have a little summer glow yes, however there are some fantastic new natural self tanners that do the job without harming your skin.
Shop more at https://rutznaturals.com/.