Province Apothecary sources the highest quality organic, wildcrafted ingredients from each Canadian Province and hand-blends these ingredients in small batches to create skincare that nourish + balance the skin. Some of their favorite ingredients include: seaweed from Nova Scotia, maple syrup from Quebec, organic sunflower oil from Ontario, organic beeswax from Alberta, organic lentil flour from Manitoba, and organic raspberry oil and glacial clay from British Columbia. Province Apothecary is blending the wilds of Canada into nourishing and balancing skincare. We love Julie Clark, her story and her love for her craft. Each bottle of this skincare is beaming with life and we are thrilled to give you an inside look into how this incredible company was born! Enjoy.
1. If you were stranded on a desert island, what 3 (beauty & wellness) products could you not live without? (You have food and water)
Our Rescue balm – it heals everything, calms irritation (sun rashes, sun burns, bug bites), and would keep my skin well hydrated. Also, a tooth brush, a copper tongue scraper + dental floss. Oral health is so important for overall wellness. I love Dr. Floss – it’s the best!
2. What is your morning beauty routine? evening?
My beauty routine is very simple. At night I cleanse, tone and then hydrate with a custom face serum. I give myself a Guy Sha stone massage every-other night and try to massage more skin for 1 minute while I apply my serum.
In the morning I rinse my face, apply my moisturizing serum and finish with a natural SPF lotion. Every three days I exfoliate, and weekly I’ll make a clay mask with either honey, milk and a fruit (strawberries, papaya, pineapple, kiwi).
3. What 3 tips or tricks can you share for feeling and looking your best?
Truly love your skin + your body. Try to avoid speaking negatively about yourself: support your skin and body with positive thoughts! Stay hydrated + feed your skin – inside and out. Drink lots of water and make sure your diet is rich in healthy fats with lots of fruits and veg. Feed your skin with pure, organic oils that are rich in antioxidants, omegas and EFAs
4. What’s your favorite part about running Province Apothecary?
Working with our amazing team of talented women! And I love helping people see wonderful results in their skin by using pure, organic, effective products.
5. What’s a trend in the beauty industry you’d like to see grow?
100% green, organic and plant based skincare. You can have the most powerful products made from 100% plant + natural ingredients and there is no need for toxic chemicals in our beauty products.
6. What beauty trend would you like to see disappear?
Toxic ingredients! I hope people will turn away from harmful synthetic products and realize that they’re bad for our bodies and our environment.
7. Of the products you make, which is your favorite?
That is a hard question, I love all of our products of course! My absolute favourite product is the Custom Face Serum. I love blending custom products for our clients and changing the blend with the season and their skincare needs.
8. What sets Province Apothecary apart from other lines on the market today?
We are 100% green, natural + pure! All of our products are 100% made from plants.
9. We all know healthy beauty starts with what we put in our bodies. What 3 tips can you share about beauty from the inside out? (think superfoods, supplements, teas, elixirs and the like)
– drink at the very least 8 glasses of water a day
– eat plenty of fibre and make sure you are keeping regular
– one part of beautiful skin is great digestion. Everyone’s body is different but I’ve noticed a huge improvement in my digestion and skin by eating fermented foods, pre biotic food, and taking digestive bitters.
10. Serious stuff. Which ingredients do you avoid at all costs
I avoid all the nasty artificial stuff in my beauty products, and in my food. I can’t stand synthetic ingredients, especially all synthetic fragrances.
11. What do you do to stay active and why?
I bike everywhere. I live in Toronto and don’t own a car, so I bike everyday to work and between our store and our skincare clinic. I also love running and walking in High Park.