Honeybee Gardens was created in 1995 by author and herbalist Melissa J. Buckley. Years of herbal study prompted Ms. Buckley to create natural personal care products for her and her family. This company blows us away with its incredible ethics, ingredients and functionality. Learn more about Melissa and Honeybee Gardens in our exclusive interview below!
1. If you were stranded on a desert island, what 3 (beauty & wellness) products could you not live without? (You have food and water)
Well sunscreen seems like an obvious choice This sounds weird, but our HBG for Men Herbal Aftershave in Unscented. It works as a great antiseptic for cuts, bug bites, bee stings, etc. And a glam item to charm the starfish? Probably our Effortless Eye Liner in Jet Set. It’s so versatile; you can create a lot of looks with it.
2. What is your morning beauty routine? evening?
Evening: massage organic coconut oil into my skin, then rinse with warm water and a little bit of natural bar soap (our Lavender Tea Tree Vegan Soap is a fav).
Morning: Rinse with warm water. I touch up with a little organic rose hip oil to moisturize. That’s it. For me, the less I do to my skin, the better it looks. I may be turning 50 soon, but I don’t want my skin to look like it.
3. What 3 tips or tricks can you share for feeling and looking your best?
Believe in yourself. When you’re true to yourself and have confidence, it shines through in everything you do. Hydrate! Your body will thank you. If you feel you look better with tanned skin, fake it. Sun damage in will come back to haunt you if you don’t.
4. What’s your favorite part about running Honeybee Gardens?
Giving customers truly healthy natural beauty products that they can afford.
5. What’s a trend in the beauty industry you’d like to see grow?
Customers being more savvy when it comes to what they are putting on their body.
6. What beauty trend would you like to see disappear?
Animal testing. And contouring. I really don’t like contouring.
7. Of the products you make, which is your favorite?
That’s like asking me which kid is my favorite! I really like our Alcohol Free Hair Spray. I honestly cannot live without this product, and for me there simply is no substitute. Nothing works better to hold my hair. And I know it’s healthy for my hair.
8. What sets Honeybee Gardens apart from other lines on the market today?
The fact that our line is so clean AND affordable. With Honeybee, you’re getting healthier products that really perform at a price that won’t break the bank.
9. We all know healthy beauty starts with what we put in our bodies. What 3 tips can you share about beauty from the inside out? (think superfoods, supplements, teas, elixirs and the like)
Water, water, water. Most people don’t drink enough, and your body needs it. Find a way to de-stress. Stress is harmful to your body in so many ways and will show up on your skin. I’m not a big supplement person, and instead believe in getting the nutrients you need from what you eat. The better you eat, the better you will feel and the better you will look. It’s really that simple.
10. Serious stuff. Which ingredients do you avoid at all costs?
It’s a LONG list. But here are some: parabens, propylene glycol, BHT, DEAs, EDTAs, talc, bismuth oxychloride, isobutane, mineral oil, etc
11. What do you do to stay active and why?
I have a gym in my home. But my favorite activity is gardening. I also enjoy hiking. Basically anything that gets me outdoors and in nature.
12. Not including your own brand, what are 3 of your must have beauty /wellness products?
Thayers Witch Hazel Unscented. Nutiva Organic Coconut Oil. Lavender Essential Oil.
13. What’s the hardest or most important life lesson you’ve learned?
Believe in yourself. As women, we tend to look to others for validation and that’s not good for so many reasons. Once a woman truly starts to believe in herself, there’s no stopping her.
14. Any beauty/wellness myth’s you’d like to bust?
You don’t need a 12 step daily skin care regimen to have great skin. Your skin needs to maintain a balance between acidity and alkalinity to remain healthy. Most people overwhelm their skin with too many products (soaps, cleansers, astringents, moisturizers) that they wind up causing problems. Keep your skin gently cleansed, hydrated and live a healthy lifestyle (good diet, exercise) and your natural beauty will shine through.